This is the story of DeeDee

Just a mom....and an academic professional, trying to get healthy.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Best laid plans....

Hi all,

So, my surgery was Monday AM. Let's just say that it has been a long couple of days....and I am glad they are over. I am a planner....I had everything planned to a T...and it didn't work out the way that I had hoped. Oh well....I am home, I am banded and I am ready for the rest of my life!

I showed up at the hospital at 6:30 for my 8:00 surgery. They ALMOST didn't do it b/c my blood sugars were so out of control. (My diabetes had taken a turn for the worst, and my ppc was trying to trying to figure them out with meds.) The surgery went well, and I felt okay. I wanted to go home that day...that was part of my plan. But my surgeon and the endocrinologist wanted me to stay overnight so that they could monitor my blood sugar and put me on a new course of meds....great. I was an emotional wreck....crying on and off all day on Tuesday. They released me (begrudgingly) yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon. It was such a relief to be home. My Lily-girl was so happy to see me, but was so worried about my incision. My husband has been great. Yesterday was our anniversary, so we weren't able to do anything special. I figure we will do something nice in Sept. when I am feeling better and can eat a bit easier.

Last night was terrible...sorry if this is TMI, but I was so constipated...I truly felt like I was giving birth...OMG...PAINFUL!

I was up today, walking around, etc. but I also took a 3 hour nap-which was wonderful. My body clearly needs the rest. I really thought I would be back at work either today or tomorrow, but it doesn't look like that is happening either. I have Bon Jovi tickets for Saturday...I need to rest up to go see the man!

So all in all, I made it! I never needed to fill the pain meds....taking extra strength tylenol seems to be working as needed. I am looking forward to actually being able to make choices about food again. But for now, I will stick to my liquids.....Now the work begins! :)

Thanks to those who were thinking of me!

Be Well,
DeeDee

8 comments:

  1. Hang in there DeeDee!!! So glad that you are banded and home - take it easy and heal - all good things will come now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting your band! Hope your recovery is easy and uneventful from here on out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel well enough to see Bon Jovi. Maybe you should fill that pain pill prescription so you can handle the entire show. The band is the best thing you could ever do to get your diabetes under control. I wasn't on any medication but my blood sugars were going up. And now they are perfectly normal. There are many others who no longer take the pills or insulin. What an excellent thought. Did you try Benefiber for constipation. It helped me out the first few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad surgery is behind you and you are on the road to recovery and weight loss. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! YAY for the band! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. Welcome to the land of the band. Remember to take it easy on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!!! Glad surgery went well and you are now home and banded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it went (relatively) well and you are home :) Welcome to the other side!

    ReplyDelete